by Miller C. Lashbrook
Tonight my fiancé and I will be seeing Thor: Love & Thunder and I thought that it would be fun to share my five main predictions for the film. Tomorrow when I share my review of the film
- New Asgard is Established – My first prediction for the film is that a good chunk of the film will be dedicated to establishing New Asgard as a setting in the Post-Endgame MCU. Maybe we will see the politics of the location, and how it interacts with the nations of the world. I would also venture to guess that we will meet some of the citizens of New Asgard that we have not already met.
- Hint at Gamora’s Location – I do not think that the Guardians of the Galaxy will have too much screen time in the film, but I do think that as they part from Thor we will get an idea of how the Guardians plan to locate or find the Gamora from 2014 that came to the present in Avengers: Endgame. I think this will lead us right into the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special we are getting in December, which will then lead to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 next year.
- Roxxon – This prediction has the least amount of evidence in the trailers, but I think that in this movie we will finally see Roxxon established as a strong benevolent presence in the MCU. Roxxon has been hinted at going back to Phase One. The company was hinted at most explicitly with the inclusion of the Roxxcart store in Loki. The main reason that I think Roxxon will have a presence in this film is to set up future stories. In Jason Aaron’s run on Thor (which this movie is taking a lot of influence from), both Thor and Mighty Thor find themselves fighting the likes of Roxxon, who is trying to plunder the Ten Realms for resources. Roxxon could make for a great secondary villain in any future Thor film.
- Sif – Sif has been a character that was in the background without a lot to do in the first two Thor films. And she was completely absent from Ragnorak (thankfully so, since her friends the Warriors Three were killed by Hela). If we are to have a reunion between Thor and his main love interest in the films (Jane Foster), it only makes sense that we also have Sif come back into the picture to create more drama. (Side Note: Sif is so much cooler in the comics than she has been in the films and I would just love to see her level up in the movies. And please give her her iconic red outfit!)
- Hercules – My final prediction, and this may be a longshot, is that this movie will introduce Hercules. The Prince of Power is a big player in the Avengers and Defenders comics of the ’70s and ’80s. We already know that his father, Zeus, is going to appear in Love and Thunder played by Russel Crowe. Hercules is a fun-loving character that will fit right in with the tone of Taika’s Thor films. He and Thor are also known for trying to one-up each other in the comics all the time.
Feel free to share your predictions in the comments below!